Tuesday 16 February 2016

Purpose of a tree

Purpose or Dharma has kept creeping into my life.  Thinking about my purpose can get me reeling and feeling lost.  So, I've been thinking about the purpose of trees.  I've been using medicinal grade essential oils/ essences regularly over the past year. First to address immunity and then slowly other physical ailments.  They've been wonderful to work with and have helped me so much.  I'm drawn to the fir/spruce essences.  In using them, I've been more aware of their presence around me in the environment. Sometimes I've talked to them during my ski touring this winter, thanking them. It's made me contemplate their purpose.  I keep coming back to the word 'giving.'  They give and give and give.  They are part of the earth ecosystem that allows the air we breath to bring life to so many other beings.  They are homes themselves, resting spots and provide housing materials for us humans.  Their roots hold the top soil for other plants and trees to grow. Their essences are healing.  Everything about them is love.  I'm reminded of the book, "The Giving Tree," by Shel Silverstein. In this book, a tree and a boy become friends. As the boy grows, what the tree provides changes.  The man struggles with his own purpose, confused and the tree gives and gives, all along just wanting the man to be happy.

Trees aren't pondering if they have enough leaves or are tall enough.  They aren't pondering if life is better on that other hillside on that other mountain.  Aspens aren't wishing they were lodge pole pines or spruce trees.  They just are.  Their dharma is to grow and give, to be their part of the earth ecosystem in order to sustain all other beings.  They have been an integral part of the earth ecosystem since life exploded onto earth.  Species of trees have come and gone, but trees and plants continue to sprout forth, being part of the whole, sustaining life.

Trees also have to receive in order to keep growing and keep helping.  They need the sunlight, the rainwater. They also need forest animals to help spread their seeds.  Some need fire in order to open their seeds for the next generation to take hold.  They seasons to go through their cycles of growth and rest.

So when I come back to my own purpose or dharma, thinking about trees makes me wonder about my part in sustaining the whole.  I'm a natural helper and giver, but I know that I can do it in a way that's not sustaining, it's draining and then my system shuts down, unable to give. It takes vigilance, awareness, practice to find the balance between give and receive.  I can't always be the helper and embracing this (the moments it happens) actually helps me to be the best helper, reach higher potential.  When I don't embrace this my body, mental state and spiritual being are all compromised.  The less negative talk and self-judgement, the more space for self-love and compassion, and feeling peaceful, content starts to happen more and more.  I'm learning that purpose isn't an outcome or a destination, it's an ebb and flow...changing but ever moving me closer to being part of the balance of the whole.  For us humans, we seem to be moving further and further from this with our fast paced life, attachments to our screens of every size, and disconnecting more and more from interactions with each other, with nature, with the whole.  We cannot exist without all other beings and we are not superior.  We have our own special part and our purpose is truly to connect with our special part of the whole.

Just like the trees.

No comments:

Post a Comment